Television is an invaluable source for news. So it’s no surprise a recent survey of the TV-viewing public proved that September 11th was the most remembered event in TV history.
According to a recent Sony Electronics and the Nielsen survey, “The Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attack is, by far, the most memorable moment shared by television viewers during the past 50 years, twice as impactful as the second-ranked moment, which was the coverage of Hurricane Katrina in 2005.”
It goes without saying that monumental events command the eyes and ears of the American public and garner huge viewing audiences. But that doesn’t discount the power of TV fiction, which has the ability to capture the hearts and minds of America, too.
Here’s the list of the Top 10 Series Finales of all time (most of them were sitcoms).
10. Home Improvement (ABC) – 35 million viewers
9. Family Ties (NBC) – 36.3 million viewers
8. All in the Family (CBS) – 40.2 Million viewers
7. The Cosby Show (NBC) – 44.4 Million Viewers
6. The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson (NBC) – 50.0 Million Viewers
5. Magnum P.I. (CBS) – 50.7 Million Viewers
4. Friends (NBC) – 52.5 Million Viewers
3. Seinfeld (NBC) – 76.3 Million Viewers
2. Cheers (NBC) – 80.4 Million Viewers
1. M*A*S*H (CBS)– 105.9 Million Viewers